[Zope] Help with session data and redirects

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
15 Apr 2003 16:09:09 -0400

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 15:45, Brad Powell wrote:
> I believe your hypothesis is exactly right, Chris.  I did wget going
> direct to Zope on port 8080, and I also did wget going through PCGI.  Both
> show the two http requests (and response headers): the first one to
> sessionCreateAndRedirect and the second one to view_session_obj.pt.  Going
> direct to port 8080 reveals a "Set-Cookie: _ZopeId=..." header being sent
> only in the first http response; whereas the PCGI route shows the
> "Set-Cookie:_ZopeId=..." header being sent only in the second response.

Thanks for confirming this.

> Also, I tried your workaround, and it works, further confirming the
> hypothesis.
>
> Where do I go from here as far as getting this "bug" fixed?

Well, the workaround is completely inert for all configurations, so in
some sense it's fixed already.

That said, to try to fix it for real, we would need to determine what
subsystem is causing the problem.  It could be the fault of IIS, or it
could be the fault of the PCGI code.  To determine which, a setup could
be established that uses PCGI under Apache; alternately another
mechanism besides PCGI under IIS could be used (a couple folks have
posted howtos about using IIS as a proxy to Zope instead of using
PCGI).  If we find that only happens when using IIS, then the problem is
likely Microsoft's.  If we find that it only happens when using PCGI,
then the problem is likely Zope's.

I don't have much interest in running this particular bug down (I don't
run Zope on Windows nor do I ever run PCGI), but maybe someone will find
it interesting enough to take it up.

- C