[Zope] What do we want in the way of Zope binary distributions?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
16 Apr 2003 10:25:18 -0400

Hi,

With the new Zope 2.7 install and configuration stuff (currently on the
Zope trunk), ZC needs to redo its mechanisms for Zope binary
distribution.  Currently, ZC distributes binaries for Win32, Linux, and
Solaris on Zope.org.  The Linux and Solaris distributions are in the
form of a tarball containing binaries.  The Win32 distribution contains
an executable installer generated by WISE.

I'd like to propose that ZC drops the "generic" Linux binary distribution
in favor of an RPM distribution that would be "guaranteed" to run on
the latest Red Hat release or the one before it, but might also work on
Mandrake, etc.  It's getting a bit scary to try to distribute a
"generic" Linux binary release (who knows what's different about each?),
and we really don't have the resources to do a functional test of the
binary release on every Linux platform.   Additionally, most Linux
distributions typically come with all the required tools to compile Zope
from source, and compiling Zope from source is now a matter of
'configure; make; make install'.  If people don't want to do this, they
can install the RPM or their distribution's repackaging of Zope (ala
Debian).

I also propose we drop the Solaris binary distribution in favor of
providing instructions to Solaris folks about how to compile and install
the source package.  This might be the most contentious proposal:  I
really have no idea how many people use the Solaris binary distro.

The Win32 binary release should likely stay much like it is.

I'm not sure about the "upgrade" release packages.  Does anybody use these?

Comments?

- C