[Zope] What do we want in the way of Zope binary distributions?

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:42:51 -0400

> Hi Dieter,
>
> Yup.  I'd rather install from source too.
>
> I'm interested in hearing from people who you think we should continue
> to create binary tarball distributions for Linux.  It doesn't sound like
> you use the binary Zope distro for Linux, or do you?
>
> - C

I have long advocated that zope.org drop binaries for linux.  I think
that packaging is too political and too tricky for zope.org to be doing.
In particular, proper FHS support seems to be tricky.

I think that virtually every distribution packages Zope now.  If people
want to use a binary version, then it seems more appropriate that they
use the distribution's, and that the distribution take the heat when it
fails to work.  I would recommend that zope.org publicize links to
distribution's versions, probably with a "outside our control, quality
problems should be taken up with the distribution" disclaimer.

In particular, the current binary on zope.org, with its non-FHS,
non-anything standard path scheme, in my opinion, causes more grief
than it is worth.

Jim Penny

Windows is another story:  I try to stay as far away as possible, but I
suspect that the windows binary is a boon to those who want to use that
platform.