[Zope] Zope Lockup (ZPublisher stops responding?)

Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:09:16 -0400

Hello,

I found refences to similar problems in the archives, and was wondering =
if
any progress was made as to possible causes and solutions.

The system:

Zope 2.6.1
CMF 1.3
Apache 1.3 + mod_rewrite + mod_proxy

The symptoms:

Zope stops responding to HTTP requests
Zope memory usage increases suddenly quite a bit
The number of apache processes increases quite a bit also
Can't kill Zope normally, need to do a -9 ...

Once I restart it , all is back to normal.  This happens once a week,
sometimes more.

As I saw in the archives, this would be due to a locking problem inside
zope? One thing to note is that our site is 99% read-only, very few =
writes
happen during a day, since we use the CMF features only for internal
authoring of your site.  I'd think this "locking" issue would be a =
problem
when there's a read/write conflict, so I'm surprised to see it happen =
so
often for us.  Is my thinking flawed? On the other hand we might =
experience
it a lot because of the high volume of traffic?

Also, I use -t 5 ... I recall there was another value, in the code, one
should change (ZODB connection pooling if I recall?) ... I haven't done
that, so I'm going to go read up on that, but I'm wondering if these 2
values not playing nice with each other could be a cause of such =
behavior?

I'll try wunnning the default 4 threads for a while too, see if that =
helps.

Dieter, if you're reading this, you had mentionned you guys were also
experiencing this ... Had a chance to look at it yet?

Thanks,

Jean-Fran=E7ois Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support / Soutien de =
syst=E8mes et
developement de services Internet
GeoAccess Division / Division G=E9oAcc=E8s
Canada Center for Remote Sensing / Centre canadien de =
t=E9l=E9d=E9tection
Natural Resources Canada /  Ressources naturelles Canada
Phone / T=E9l=E9phone: (613) 992-4902
Fax / T=E9l=E9copieur: (613) 947-2410
http://atlas.gc.ca