[Zope] Re: Accelerating images without proxy

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:56:08 +0200

Marc Burgauer wrote:
> I have analysed the problem and I believe I could get a major boost if we
> could just cache some images. There are about two dozen images, mainly logos
> and navigation images that are used on almost every page. If I could just
> cache these, that should help a lot.
>
> I looked into the various internal mechanisms (Accelerated HTTP Cache
> Managers, Cache-tab on image object) and read the help. But I'm still not
> sure if this is helpful. The help text constantly tells me that some
> operations using cache can backfire and become more expensive.
>
> Can anybody share any light on this issue, please?

You should use an Accelerated HTTP Cache Manager, which only caches your
images (see Tab: Associate -> Select "Image"). This will add some
additional headers to the image-responses which tell proxies on the way
or the clients browsers to cache the images for the specified time. All
your clients won't request the images anymore from the server which
should take some load from the server.

A RAMCacheManager will bring you no performance boost for images,
because this one is only useful for "rendered" pages/elements like ZPT
or DTML.

Cheers, Maik