[Zope] Network Appliances NetCache vs. Squid

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung <andreas@andreas-jung.com>
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:05:11 +0200

--On Montag, 28. April 2003 11:57 Uhr +0100 Marc Burgauer
<marc@sharedbase.com> wrote:

> Neither of us has any experience with the device. If anybody can share
> some insights in regard to Zope and how this compares in use something
> like Squid as a reverse proxy, I'd be most thankful.

Squid + Zope is used on several large production sites and my experiences
are very good. Although you need to have some knowledge because Squid
has a lot of configuration options and it takes some time to get Squid
tuned in the right way.

> On that note, what are the issues of running squid on the same machine as
> the Zope instance to be cached? Are substantial gains only achieved if
> Squid sits on its own box?

Depends on the load and the hardware of the machine. In general it is
possible.
For a site with lot of traffic I would a dedicated Squid machine. At least
put the Squid cache and the Zope instance on different disks to spread IO.

-aj