[Zope] Virtual hosting w/out Apache for Zope newbies?

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:40:17 +0200

george donnelly wrote:
> [Frederic Faure wrote (ffaure@bigfoot.com) on 4/29/03 2:30 PM]
>>Why would I want to add Apache? Security? Load?
>
> read this:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver

It sais "Versatile Apache is much better for serving legacy HTML/CGI
content".

Yes, if you want to mix in legacy HTML/CGI content, they you need to run
Zope behind Apache. But the claim that you ALWAYS should run Zope behind
Apache as soons as you are exposed to the Internet is not given any
support by that document. In fact, the arguments for it is rather weak.

This is the reasons I have found, so far.
I listed them in my Apache+Zope howto at
http://www.zope.org/Members/regebro/Zope_and_Apache/ :

When should I run Zope behind Apache?

* You need both Zope based sites and non-Zope based sites.
* You are a nervous dude that don't trust that Zopes Zserver can
   handle when people send you weird and invalid http requests in
   hacking and denial of service attacks, or you don't trust the
   OpenSSL way of doing SSL and want to use Apaches SSL.
* You want to have a cache of the finished pages to speed up access.
* Your boss/customer requires you to use Apache and you don't want
   to argue with him/her.

I'd be happy to add other cases to this list.