[Zope] Problems with ZopeSSL

Rob Thorne rob@torenware.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:37:45 -0700

Mark,

It's hard to tell from the log messages, but based upon the fact that
the browser seems to be quitting on your server, there's one thing you
might want to try.

I assume that you're using a self signed certificate.  Many browsers
(and some command line utilities) don't behave well if they do not
recognize the certificate authority (CA) that generated the server
certificate.  When you are generating your own certificates, unless the
browser is set up to handle unknown authorities, this is a common problem.

I have better luck when I create my own certificate authority, and then
*sign* my own server certificates with it.   This is not hard; see the
O'reilly book on OpenSSL for info.

The certificate authority's public key can be posted somewhere that your
users can see it (say, in the root of your document tree for your web
server).   If your doc tree is /u/www/htdocs/, you can put the public
key of the CA into the file ca.crt, and tell your users to browse to:

http://your_domain_name/ca.crt

Most browsers will recognize ca.crt as a certificate, and will put up a
set of dialogs to help the user import the certificate into the
browser's database.  Once this happens, they will browse https pages
from your server without complaint, and are more likely to work correctly.

I'm not sure how best to do this using Zope's ZServer, since I use
apache for my Zope ssl pages, on a Linux box.  But I'd guess it would
work on a Windows host as well.

Regards,
Rob

--