[Zope] Virtual hosting w/out Apache for Zope newbies?

Jamie Heilman jamie@audible.transient.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:23:23 -0700

Jamie Heilman wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> > But the claim that you ALWAYS should run Zope behind Apache as
> > soons as you are exposed to the Internet is not given any support
> > by that document. In fact, the arguments for it is rather weak.
>
> Weak?  Hardly.

Ok I see what you're saying now, the aforementioned document doesn't
give a good argument for why somebody should use Apache to front
ZServer... you weren't defending ZServer, my bad.  Nevertheless, feel
free to add to your document that ZServer should ALWAYS be protected
by a robust and configurable HTTP proxy.  Frankly I think Zope should
come distributed with this plainly outlined in the documenation.

I feel that saying "Zope comes with everything you need to get up and
running including a built-in web server and search engine." is sort of
a half-truth.  Sure its a start, but you can't roll out a service with
Zope alone and expect it to withstand a hostile network situation.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"It's almost impossible to overestimate the unimportance of most things."