[Zope] DirectoryStorage & ZEO... how?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:00:53 -0400

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 06:10:27PM +0900, Wankyu Choi wrote:
> Here's how I do it.
>
> 1. custom_zodb.py on ZEO Client
(snip)

already had something equivalent, thanks

> 2. start script on ZEO client

(snip)
yup.

> 4. start script on ZEO Storage Server

(snip)

exec python    /usr/lib/zope/ZEO/start.py -u zope -D -p 8888 -S
> 1=$ZOPE_HOME/zeo_custom_zodb:Storage  \

ok, that's what i thought the -S syntax was, though i wasn't sure
about the "1="

> 4. zeo_custom_zodb.py on ZSS
(snip)

aha! for some daft reason i thought that custom_zodb was a magic name.
i was wondering how on earth to combine the client and server setup in
one custom_zodb... the answer is, "don't" :)

> You should sudo to the user ZEO expects ( not root ): create a user for the
> sole purpose of running ZEO. If you try to run ZEO as root or do not sudo to
> the ZEO user, you'd end up with ZEO clients waiting forever for answers from
> ZEO: that is, they'll just hang and you won't know what's happening since
> ZEO logs nothing about this weirdness even with "STUPID_LOG_SEVERITY=-300".
> I wasted more than a week to figure out what was going on.

eek!  thanks to your message i spent only a few minutes fiddling with
permissions.  well, actually "find . -exec chown zope {} \;" took quite
a long time in my directorystorage ;-)

> Hope this helps.

you rock!

i'm editing your message into a doc to send to Toby which i hope he'll
consider including with the DirectoryStorage docs.

--

Paul Winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com