[Zope] get user password

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Thu Aug 14 09:02:03 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 04:25 US/Eastern, ijsman wrote:

> I'm using this code to try and get a user's password.
>
> from AccessControl import getSecurityManager
>
> request = context.REQUEST
>
> user = getSecurityManager().getUser()
>
> curpas = user._getPassword()
>
> but this gives me an error because i can't run a method that has a '_'
> in it's name.
>
> How do i then get a user's password? It would be nice to be able to
> mail people's password if they forget it :)

If the goal is to send a password that the user has forgotten then this
code will not work at all because it looks at the user that is
currently logged in. If I forget my password then I can't be logged in
at that moment.

Take a look at how the CMF implements this, especially the mailPassword
method on the registration tool:

http://cvs.zope.org/CMF/CMFDefault/
RegistrationTool.py?rev=1.20&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

jens