[Zope] Zope application offline - how to apply a licenseptotection?

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Fri Aug 15 22:07:31 EDT 2003

At 15/8/2003 14:01, you wrote:

>Use your own dedicated server with zope, crypted FS (you need solve problem
>with key :( or lock at computer case.
>
> > And anyone with write permission to the filesystem can create an
>emergency
>
>Nothing more than "root" will does not have access to that PC
>
> > Zope may have a good shield from web attacks but I think it is very
> > vulnerable for local intrusion or sabotage.
>
>Zope is not responsible for that, you need solve these problems at system
>level and robust HW, as I shown you.
>
>Do you have access to local files in server at your bank office?

Of course not, but bank staff do have access to them. Surely they have
security measures, but their security policies are meant to protect *them*
against things, but not to protect *me* (as a software developer) against
bad usage, abuse, thieft, or sabotage on our systems. And those things
happen - I have some examples, fortunately none involving Zope (yet!).

Going to the original post: The world does not revolve around Zope, so it
may not be possible to use a dedicate, isolate and padlocked server to run
Zope exclusively, and instead had to install it on an existing server,
running other applications and being mantained by other people with a
foreign admininstrator. In that scenario, hacking, misconfiguration,
stealing, sabotage, and other things might happen.
Since your recommendation is not applicable, as far as I know, Zope as a
development platform does not provide any means to prevent nor protect
against such things. I don't say Zope *should* care about that, perhaps it
shouldn't. But the developer surely *must* take that into account.
So the best thing to do is to get a good legal contract.

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL