[Zope] How to install a new product in Zope 2.7

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Mon Aug 18 15:07:54 EDT 2003

Chris McDonough wrote:
> When someone asks why Zope doesn't start under UNIX and there are no
> messages in the event log file, the stock answer will be "run it using
> the 'runzope' shell script in a console window".

This can easily modify the context (environment, etc.) under which the
process is born, bugs which are context dependant may vanish or change
in nature because of this.  I suppose only time will tell how much
pain will be rooted in this choice of direction.

> All that said, I think (over time) we might be able to do less before
> we have the opportunity setuid so that these kinds of messages would
> indeed be written to the logfile.

The benefits of being able to bind to a privileged port are imaginary.
The setuid code should be removed entirely.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"You came all this way, without saying squat, and now you're trying