[Zope] How to personalise a website?

Børge Kjeldstad borge.kjeldstad at whiteflower.no
Tue Aug 19 11:59:12 EDT 2003

Hello!

I want to personalize a website. That is; I have a welcome page
with some links on, say link A, B and C. If a guest presses link B
I want that to affect the design of all the later pages that this guest
sees.
However, if the guest returns to the welcome page and presses link C,
I want all the following pages that this guest sees, to have some other
look
(the “C look”).

I am not so good at programming in python so I guess my easiest shot
will
be to use cookies (please correct me if I am wrong:-)). Now, I found
some
example in the Zope book. If the guest chooses link B I could set a
cookie
using the following statement:

  <dtml-call expr="RESPONSE.setCookie('guest_B')">

and then later for the page design, use some “if” statement like this:

  <if request.cookies.has_key('guest_B'>

(Please correct me if the program lines here are wrong:-), I am really
not sure
about how to use the apostrophe ‘ sign in these statements)

But if the guest now goes back to the welcome page and chooses link C
he or she will still have the “guest_B” cookie. My question is then:
How do I erase the “guest_B” cookie?

Now, I am also slightly aware of that there is some parameter option in
the “setCookie” statement. That is: I could maybe have a setCookie
statement
that went like this:

  <dtml-call expr="RESPONSE.setCookie('guest', ‘B’)">

and then use or change the parameter to the cookie “guest” My second
question is hence; if this would be a better solution than trying to
erase
the cookie as previously described.

Thank you very much!

Børge Kjeldstad