[Zope] Backup

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Aug 19 12:35:37 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 07:33:43AM -0700, Dennis Allison wrote:
> Zope stores its methods in its OODB.  The actual bits are in a file
> called Data.fs.  If you instructor is going to view what you did,
> you'll need to provide a complete working Zope implementation with
> your stuff, or you'll need to give him access to running system.
> Were I the instructor, I'd prefer the latter.

Another option, if your site is (from the user's POV) just static
stuff without functionality like search or whatever...
make a static mirror of the site. On unix, I've had good results
with wget using these options:

wget -r -l7 -p -nH -nc -np -k -E http://

Read the man page to learn what those all do.
You won't end up with an exact link-for-link mirror (some things
will be renamed and some pages will be represented with
directories) but the result should be very browseable.

For this to work well, you want to be *very* wary of using
using relative links in page framework stuff like standard_html_header
etc. They can lead easily to redundant copies of images & pages, and the
"infinite growing URL" problem which you can read about in the
mailing list archives. Best solution is liberal use of the absolute_url
method. The -l7 option to wget stops it from trying to download
infinitely (it limits the recursion to 7 levels in this case).