[Zope] Document Management using Zope

Siu, Paul paul.siu at lmco.com
Fri Aug 22 10:59:12 EDT 2003

Hi,

I need to create a system that is mostly for web content management
(HTML, XML, etc), but also have support for traditional "fat" documents
like Microsoft Office. Basically I want to be able to version fat
documents and route them through workflows. I was trying to figure out
if this is feasible in Zope.

>From what I can tell from reading the docs, Zope uses an object orient
database Zodb. Zodb seemed to be able to handle content, but can it
handle "fat" content reliably? I guess one issue would be caching, since
caching a large object in memory would chew up memory quickly.

Another problem is that Zope lacks a reliable version control. Zope can
version by saving old transactions, but the transactions are lost after
a pack. What I need is someway to specify specific verions like in a
CVS. I also need to keep the old version around until corporate record
retention policy indicate that it should be deleted. I have heard that
Zope3 has this feature, but Zope3 is too far away. Plone seems to have a
mechanism through CMFStaging, but how reliable is that? Can I migrate
the document from the 2.x solution to the 3.0?

Better yet, is there a DM type product out there?

Paul