[Zope] [Resolved] Zope on SuSE 8.2 -- What initial user name and passworddo I use?

paulporter at buffalotalks.com paulporter at buffalotalks.com
Mon Aug 25 12:35:52 EDT 2003

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions and tried to help me with
this problem.  A very special thank you goes to Anthony Tarlano who was
kind enough to detail what he had to do to resolve this same problem in
Mandrake.  Though SuSE's directory structure is different from Mandrake's
the information that Tony provided gave me the clues to solve this
problem. THANK YOU TONY!
Now for the archives: Solution for initial log-in to Zope on SuSE 8.2

Linux Distro: SuSE 8.2

Zope Version: 2.6.1

Problem: Zope starts but does not see the 'access' file to verify
superuser logon

Solution:

Logged into Linux as root, save the 'access' file in the /opt/zope/
directory. This file should contain "UserName:PassWord" minus the
quotation marks. Log out and log back in to Linux as a user (Not root).
Bring Zope up in your browser and enter the superuser information that you
saved in the 'access' file, and hit enter.  This should allow you into
Zope.  Now that you have successfully gotten into Zope add a new manager
under the acl_user folder.  Close out of Zope  completely and then log
back in under the new user you just created under acl_user.  This should
allow you into the Control_Panel and your ready to enjoy Zope. Note that
you can not do anything accept add or modify a user when logged in as the
superuser.