[Zope] MemoryError: out of memory

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Aug 27 22:31:19 EDT 2003

Rechenberg, Andrew wrote at 2003-8-26 16:36 -0400:
 > I am receiving this Exception when running Zope with CMF/Plone.  Here
 > are the details of my system:
 >
 > Dell PE2650
 > Dual 2.8GHz Xeon
 > 4GB RAM
 > /Sherman/Categories/InternetLinks>
 >   Module StringIO, line 160, in getvalue
 > MemoryError
 >
 > At the time of the exception the PythonService.exe was consuming 3984K
 > of RAM and python.exe was consuming 125960K.  I've checked Google and
 > Zope.org for any related topics and have yet to find anything.

Thus, Python/Zope is not to blame (it uses about 130 MB of 4 GB).

I see 2 possible cases:

 *  Another process on your machine eat all available memory
    and your Zope process failed to get memory and therefore
    raised this exception.

 *  There are special limits in effect that restrict memory
    use for your Zope process to about 126 M.

    "ulimit" can be used to set and check such limits.

Dieter