[Zope] My first question.

Goldthwaite, Joe joe at goldthwaites.com
Wed Dec 3 16:36:21 EST 2003

Mystery solved.   I looked at the html source like you suggested and it
looked fine.  It's not quoting the rest of the page.  What's happening is
the IS_YTD_Header is a TABLE column header.  When I put the DTML method in
as a ZPT, it automatically closed the table tag.  Now all the data that
would have been in the table is being strung together in one big string that
looks a lot like quoted html.  I guess the ZPT stuff is trying to help me by
forcing the closing tags but I wish it wouldn't.  Its help is getting in the
way.

Here's another problem that seems to be related.  Maybe someone can show me
a good way of doing it.  I have a flag coming in from my data that indicates
whether or not to make the line bold.  The only way I know of to make it
bold is to put <b> and </b> tags around the text.  I tried using a
tal:condition statement in my repeat loop like this;

The idea being that I'd put the <b> before and </b> after my description.  I
used the tal:omit-tag to take out the <p> so it wouldn't screw things up.  I
get a compilation failed message on the </b>.  If I take the last line out,
It compiles but the html puts the closing </b> tag right after the <b>.
It's like it sees the closing </p>, (even though it's omitted) and knows the
</b> isn't there so it puts it there.  Of course nothing comes out bold.

This is trivial to do in Python.  I know I'm supposed to separate
presentation from logic but doing the formatting in HTML or TAL seems so
much harder. I'm starting to think it may be better to just return the HTML
from my function all ready to display.  I can still separate the basic logic
from the presentation.  The presentation logic will just be in a Python
formatting routine instead of as objects in Zope.  Will this cause me any
problems down the road?  We don't have separate HTML designers or teams
working on this.  It's just me.  Maybe in my situation using ZTP and DTML
just complicates things with no real benefit.  Any ideas?

Joe Goldthwaite