[Zope] RedHat Alternative...

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Fri Dec 5 05:07:49 EST 2003

For servers I can recommend OpenBSD. Works as a charm with Zope, never had a
problem. Very secure, very fast, dead easy to install.

OpenBSD (and FreeBSD, I don't know?) have two types of packages for most
software. Binary packages, that work like typical rpms, that is they have
requirements on other packages and blablabla, and also
source code packages, which are source code, makefiles and scripts to get
stuff running on Open BSD. The good thing with the source packages is that
you don't need new packages for new versions of OpenBSD, hence, these
packages require less management effeort for maintainer, so there are more
of them that are actually working. :-)

I like OpenBSD, but my ventures into using it as a desktop wasn't very
successful. But as a server it kicks both Linux and Microsoft ass. :-) If I
has the time I would compare it with FreeBSD someday, it would be
interesting.