[Zope] searching and serving large textfiles ~120 Mb

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Fri Dec 5 13:28:06 EST 2003

Lee J. McAllister wrote:
> We're handling something similar, most of our files are in the 60-80Mb
> range and in varying formats from plain text to MS-Word to PDF.  We're
> just getting into the testing phases now so I'm not certain if the
> performance will be noticeable different under load or not but it's food
> for thought at least.
>
> We're storing the files on the filesystem with an ExtFile type Product
> and using TextIndexNG2 to index the fulltext of the documents into
> Zope.  The theory being that we can minimize the bloat to the ZODB by
> only storing the data needed for the searches in the ZODB and keeping
> the actual file contents out on the file system.
>
> Someone with a better working knowledge of Zope might be able to give
> you a theoretical guestimate on the performance differences, if any, of
> storing/serving large objects internally vs externally.

Hm, I think (downloading) performance should be roughly the same --
after all, the files would still have to loaded by Zope, at least with
Products like LocalFS and ExtFile that first load the whole file into
memory before starting to serve it? I wrote myself a streaming method
for this reason.

  - peter.