[Zope] RE: [*Mostly* SOLVED] RE: Help with Japanese rendering in Zope...?

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Thu Dec 11 03:26:30 EST 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 06:24, Bjorn Stabell wrote:

> I'd still keep <dtml-var "u''"> in there.  It may work fine now, but I
> think you may have trouble with some documents where Japanese or Unicode
> text shows up further into the document; at that point ZPublisher may
> already have started writing something out and by that time it's too
> late to switch the encoding.

Position of <dtml-var "u' '"> is not important - Your method will have
computed the whole document before ZPublisher starts to return anything to
the client.

The real reason for it is to *ensure* that the return value from your dtml is
unicode. DTML will return a unicode object if any of its components are
unicode, but a plain string otherwise. (and ZPublishers encoding process wont
kick in unless it recieves a unicode object from your method). This
throw-away unicode object guards against degenerate cases (for example, maybe
an *empty* search results page) where your DTML might otherwise never see a
unicode object.

--
Toby Dickenson