[Zope] Zope Requests - POST vs. GET

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Mon Dec 15 10:05:26 EST 2003

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Jung schrieb:

> --On Montag, 15. Dezember 2003 14:36 Uhr +0100 Tino Wildenhain
> <tino at wildenhain.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Andreas Jung schrieb:
>>
>>> This a single REQUEST is either a POST or GET request there is no need
>>> for this separation IMO. Everything's in the REQUEST.
>>

>> That's not entirely true. Sadly there is a design flaw in cgi.py
>> which ignores GET variables still present when doing POST.
>>
>> The whole lib is a bit ugly so its not easy to fix it.
>> And its even worser to fix if you want to achieve compatibility
>> with current implementations.
>>
>> Should variables be merget? Get variables before POST
>> or vice versa?
>

> in the HTTP specs we can find: """ The POST
> method is used to request that the origin server accept the
> entity enclosed in the request as a new subordinate of the
> resource identified by the Request-URI in the Request-Line"""
>
> How shall we interpret that? Parameters passed as QUERYSTRING
> in a POST request do override parameters passed in the body?
>
> Anyway I don't  see why there is a need to mix both. For
> clearity one should either pass the parameters as POST or GET.

There are really a lot of use cases for that. You can only
use <a hrefs>  and redirect to do parameter passing via
GET. If the target page uses POST to submit another
information, the information on GET is lost for current Zope.

Maybe next example makes it more transparent:

you make a link published in a  e-mail which provides
information of an article in a shop referenced by
QUERY-String, of course.

In the resulting page there is the option to log in
first - of course with POST.

Currently you have to transport every paramater from
query-String to a hidden form field to not
loose the values.

Thats a bit nasty.

Regards
Tino