[Zope] Sessions and User Authentication

kittonian kittonian at macgenius.net
Tue Dec 23 17:12:49 EST 2003

I'm doing a project for a band's fan club and the objective is to have users
go through a registration process (consisting of 3 separate pages), a review
stage, have an e-mail confirmation sent to them with a clickable link that
they can then click on and confirm their registration, and a members only
section of the website where only the fan club members are allowed to gain
access.  I have all the pages created and the database all designed and
running.  I even have all the select fields based off of a table in the db
and working properly.

I am not sure how to proceed on a number of levels.

1. I need to have the members login from the first page of the fan club.
Since their user information is stored in the database and I do not want to
create a user account in zope for each user (there will be tons of users) I
need to have them authenticate to gain access only to that specific members
folder.  At no time should anyone be able to bookmark a members only page
and access it again without first authenticating. I also need to make sure
that after a specific amount of time of inactivity their session expires.

2. I need to properly validate each and every form field in specific ways
(i.e. for the phone number there should be no letters entered and only the
correct amount of digits should be allowed).  There are a lot of fields
which all need specific validation rules.

3. I need to have sessions for the signup process so that the user can go
back and correct information if they need to do so prior to confirming their
submission and being sent the confirmation e-mail message.

Can anyone give me a hand with these issues?  This is the last portion of
this signup process and I need to get it done quickly since the band's new
record is coming out in a couple of weeks.  I am always in #zope on freenode
as well as on irc.macgenius.net port 6667 in #macgenius.  My nick is
kittonian.  Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

kittonian