[Zope] Zope as a desktop CMS?

Frederic Faure ffaure at club-internet.fr
Tue Dec 23 19:43:23 EST 2003

At 22:51 23/12/2003, Mark McEahern wrote:
>Have you checked out the ExternalEditor product?

Thx Mark :-) I just gave it a try... and it's no go. Besides the fact that
installing and configuring the two parts that make up ExEd (Product +
external Python helper whose .INI file must be edited by hand) is way
beyond the capability of a non-techie...

1. Using Namo WebEditor 4.x : Namo insists on adding <meta name="generator"
content="Namo WebEditor v4.0"> in the header of all HTML files, so NOK when
editing items from Zope, as this bit polutes objects

2. Mozilla Composer shows the text in ASCII mode, not HTML. I have no idea
why. For those interested, I used this in the helper app's INI file:

editor = "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" -edit

When clicking on the pencil icon, a dialog box shows up saying "This object
is already locked by you in another session. Do you want to borrow this
lock and continue?". When clicking Yes, Composer is launched to display raw
ASCII, not rendered HTML, eg.

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<h2><dtml-var title_or_id></h2>
This is the <dtml-var id> Document.
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

Is there any solution for Zope to be used as a WYSIWYG desktop CMS for a
non-techie? Should I look at Plone (shudder)? :-)

Thanks for the tip
Fred.