[Zope] Re: full-text retrieval app

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:37:54 +0100

Stefan Guericke wrote:
>>You can build an application for full-text retrieval for external files
>>with TextIndexNG and ExternalFile.
>>

> what do u think of writing his own application which stores different
> content type depending on the file type. id3 tag for mp3s, <title> and
> <bod>...</body> for html etc. implementing the indexing procedure in c++.
> the results could be saved in several tables in a mysql database. because
> the querys would be not too complicated the speed of the querys might be
> acceptable.
>
> searching the index could be done by executing ZSQL methods.
>
> what do u think about this idea?

Please keep the discussion on the list...

Your idea sounds for me like: Why do you want to use Zope if you want to
invent the wheel on your own? ZCatalog/TextIndexNG are well tested and
do their job very well... There's no need to invent your own
c++-indexer, if you do it the "zopish" way. Maybe you should have a look
at MNOGoSearch and something like this non-zope-stuff for
full-text-retrieval out there...

-mj