[Zope] Zope and Sage?

Philip Kilner zope@zope.org
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:36:13 GMT

Hi Matt,

In article <D11D0F8B-39C1-11D7-ABA6-000A95669874@studiolift.com>, Matt
Carey wrote:
> i have no idea about Sage and the Sage website talks about its own
> solutions. anyone got any ideas/helpful hints?

I have some experience with Sage - but it may be out of date. Here are
some pointers for direction...

First of all, there are zillions of versions of Sage - you need to know
which one they are using, as they have very different levels of
capability. There are two routes which I think would bear
investigating, and one caution you may wish to bear in mind...

ODBC - Some versions of Sage have ODBC access. This is primarily useful
for getting data /out/ of Sage, but may have the capability to let you
write the invoice straight into Sage. The way accounts s/w uses
postings often makes it inadvisable / fiddly / unsupportable to write
directly to the system.

Import - When I was addressing a similar problem (This was with an
ancient version of Financial Controller) we fond that the system could
import a batch of transactions from a delimitted ascii file. Writing
this file out from the POS application was trivial, and the import and
processing was adequately (Hey, I don't like 'em!) supported by Sage.

The caution is just about how "direct" such a link can be. Assuming
Zope is running out on the net somewhere and their copy of Sage is in
house, this is going to be a batch process. In the past I have met
restistance to this, although eventually the idea that "better a batch
process that works than a live process that doesn't" sinks in. There
are approaches to stock control and display of qty. on hand to
purchasers etc. that do not rely on "live" connections, and I would
advocate a conservative approach to this stuff unless these guys are
operating out of their own NOC...<g>

Oh, Sage do have some sort of e-Commerce offering - but I wouldn't go
there myself...

Regards,

PhilK

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:13 GMT  @ Vaio