[Zope] Zope: 5.4, jboss 0.3 million hits with google

Jack Park jackpark@thinkalong.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:26:05 -0800

At 10:59 AM 2/12/2003, Santoshi Reddy wrote:
>I will add my voice to Zope.but i have to say the documentation
>definately needs to improve.
>
>S.

As a brain-damaged Java hacker, I have this point of view. Java is pretty
nice, that is, it is nice because I'm able to hack stuff that works in
Java. And, that's about it.  Using the same metric, I'm stuck with the idea
that Python sucks, but that's because I'm not able to hack stuff (yet) that
works in Python.  I plan to change that.  Using Zope, however, is not
turning out to be the "light-switch easy" task I hoped it would be.

I downloaded the JBoss exe installer, installed it, and presto! JBoss came
up on localhost immediately.

I downloaded Zope 2.6.0 exe, installed it, and presto! Zope camp up on
localhost immediately.

So far, so good.  Where's the beef (imho)?

Zope is cool because it has so many, as you call them, products. I saw a
John Graham demo that would leave anybody salivating over what you can do
right out of the box with Zope, Plone, and a bunch of other stuff.  Nothing
like that, really, exists for JBoss, though some incredibly powerful,
well-funded "products" already exist in Java that do much the same stuff
(e.g. DSpace, and many others).

Both environments, for me, share one overriding set of problems, all
associated with versions of python, java and other stuff.  For instance, I
installed 2.6, then installed Silva and all its goodies, only to find out
that the problems I encountered were thought to be associated with the fact
that Silva had only been tested on 2.5.1, so I installed 2.5.1 and, well,
the problems still exist, and I'm lead (by way of email postings) to
suspect that there is some difficulty associated with PyXML and so
forth.  I've had the same experiences with Java, but in that environment, I
know where to look; in Zope, I am lost.

Is one better than the other? I don't know the answer to that. I think both
may be essentially the same in some sense, with the primary criteria being
familiarity. Theoretically speaking, JBoss has tackled the scalability
issues. I have yet to find that Zope has done the same.

My 0.02 EUROs
Cheers
Jack Park

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley. Jack Park, Editor. Sam Hunting, Technical Editor

Build smarter kids globally to reduce the need for smarter bombs.