[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Kari-Hans Kommonen khk@uiah.fi
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:01:29 +0200

Just a comment from a relative newbie (part time (10%) inhouse developer):

DTML is easier to grasp as a beginner. ZPT is probably the right
direction to go, but it sure does not explain itself to the reader.

As (especially non-programmer) learners of Zope must survive mainly
through reading through and tweaking example code, when they have to
choose whether to base their work on DTML or ZPT, it is very natural
to choose to work with DTML because it is easier to understand and
tweak. And also because so much of the stuff one begins to change is
still in DTML.

ZPT seems a very nice and useful solution to the basic dilemma of
embedding customization dynamics into the stupid format of HTML. But
because of the constraints HTML and the web editors impose on it, it
becomes sadly hard for casual developers.

I think there is a need for a higher level solution to the problem.

Meanwhile, it would be very important to get much more examples of
the best ways to use the features of ZPT to the max. While code can
easily be browsed, it is not always easy to understand why things
were done in a certain way or even why they work in the first place -
e.g. what assumptions, structures and conditions they depend on.
(This unfortunately applies also to DTML...)

Having spent now a lot of time in order to manage to do new things
with DTML and encountering so much uncertainty of what I manage to
get working (and still often not really understanding what made the
difference since the apparent logic I figured out has let me down so
many times now), it will take a long time before I could change my
stuff from DTML to ZPT and risk losing the ability to at least think
that I understand what is going on...

kh