[Zope] ExternalEditor and Umlauts

Marius Gedminas marius@codeworks.lt
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:48:38 +0200

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:28:22PM +0100, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> I'm having some problems using ExternalEditor/gvim with umlauts. The
> irritating thing is that this is the first time this happens.
[...]
> So, either I have to solve the mystery how to get rid of the UTF-8
> encoding, or I have to find out how to teach external editor/gvim
> UTF-8.
>
> Any hints/comments?

I suggest that you use UTF-8, or you'll encounter additional problems
later (e.g. when you find that you need the Euro sign somewhere).

To edit UTF-8 text with gvim use the following settings:

  set encoding=UTF-8
  set guifont=-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1
                                " any font with iso10646-1 enocoding will do
  set termencoding=ISO-8859-1   " depends on your locale, if you set
                                " this wrong, you'll be able to see but
                                " not type

Marius Gedminas
--