[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:18:37 +0000

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> Having now worked with both, I'd disagree, strongly. DTML is _much_ easier
> for the beginner. Once you get more complex, then ZPT becomes simpler. But
> for basic "insert chunk of html here" type things, DTML is far, far, easier
> to explain.

...yeah, but if you're learning to use a poweful app server, why opt for
something that becoems difficult when you want to do something poweful?

Why not just make the (small imho) step and go for the more powerful and
flexible option straight up?

To be honest, how difficult is

<tal:x replace="here/whatever"/>

...than:

<dtml-var whatever>

...especially when your user asks "so where does 'whatever' coem from? How is it
looked up?"

...and how do you explain when to use that as opposed to:

<dtml-var "whatever">

...or

&dtml-whatever;

?