[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:01:04 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <sean.upton@uniontrib.com>

> This is well put.  I think this argument is also true of designers who
don't
> use WYSIWYG tools as well, for the same reason, I think: round-trip
design
> involves iterations of programmers messing with the behavioral and
> integration aspects of templates while the designers want to keep
changing
> the design over time.  As each of these steps happens, DTML makes the two
> have to communicate more and correct for missteps more, while ZPT allows
for
> each to operate more independently and still modify the code somewhat
> independently, without the need to reverse-engineer and reintegrate.
This
> is the case even when the designers use tools like Homesite or a
text-editor
> instead of GoLive or Dreamweaver.

That's all true, but I think we're kind of missing a point in the whole
discussion. Not everyone says let's all code in one single language and
trash the other. Actually we're saying how lucky we are that we can seize
both of them for what they're worth. The other thing that in my opinion we
might be missing, is that a dynamic portal is not necesarily made out of
logic and whole page templates.

I'm convinced that there is at least one more stage in-between made out of
page fragments that can be handled as a real object (pagelets). Think of a
search results page, or a folder contents one. Don't you think there's
something that can be automated there that could save valueable developers'
time, by means of an object whose mission was to take over the repetitive
coding (across different sites) and to deliver the page fragment (the
rendered columns and rows in a table) we just need in that particular page?
Something like dtml-tree already does, but movable, reusable and highly
configurable in a dedicated UI, and completely independent of macros of any
flavor?. Well, that's the kind of stuff I'm working at for what I believe
DTML and PythonScripts are just better suited than ZPT.

Ausum