[Zope] Creating an e-mail interface for issue tracker...

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:01:45 -0800

At 04:39 PM 2/19/2003, Meehan, Francois wrote:
>I have contacted the developer, but He has no plan for adding this feature
>at this time.

Well here's your golden opportunity to learn Zope!  :-)

>I would like to create it, but my knowledge in zope is way too limited,
>don't know what is the best way to start this. I know I could use postfix to
>deliver to a program, but from there...

If you know how to configure Postfix, you're 75% of the way there
already.  It's easy enough to whip up a Python glue script that can hit a
URL, make a POST request or even script Zope directly.  That's pretty much
all that's required to bridge those two systems.

The tough part will be determining how to get your users to provide valid,
parsable data by e-mail consistently enough to make it worth the
trouble.  The difficulty of this should not be underestimated.  Normal
people are very bad with structured data... computers aren't so great with
unstructured data... it'll be a challenge to bridge this gap.

HTH,

Dylan