[Zope] Newbie install problems

Brendan Pirie bpirie@earthlink.net
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:21:39 -0500

> chmod -R zope.zope does not work,
>
> you mean "chown".

Yes, of course.  Typo.

> This is a permission problem. What does 'ls -l $file' show?
>
> Have a look with "ps" what userid the zope server uses. But AFAIK zope
> does not change its uid.

Yes, I figured it was a permissions problem, but I didn't find the answer in
the docs.  It is an ownership issue, not a

> try the following in your zope-home:
> chmod -R 755 .

No dice.  I even tried chmod -R 777 on the entire zope dir structure. Same
error. (Don't worry, I would never leave it set this way)

The problem is apparently related to running zope as root.  I reinstalled as
a regular user and had no problems, which is what I should have done in the
first place.  And you're right; zope doesn't change users, only the user
that ZServer runs as is set by the start script.

All is working fine now.

Thanks for your help,

Brendan