[Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Redding, Matthew Matthew.Redding@dpi.qld.gov.au
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:50:20 +1000

Hmm,
Had an odd problem with scripts the other day.  It was not writing to
the session correctly, despite using
the RESUEST.SESSION.set('blah') thing.  I restarted the server...and it
worked.

Now I have the problem I have detailed in my message
with the subject "[Zope] Script writing to session: bizarre result or
just a mistake?"(posted
earlier today).

I am pretty sure I have not made a mistake.  What could go wrong?  It is
a bloody simple script.

It does not work.  I a beggining to think I have a bad install, and need
to re-install (this begins
to seem more likely than the next options).

Matt Redding

-----Original Message-----
From: beno [mailto:zope@thewebsons.com]
Sent: Monday, 13 January 2003 11:22 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Hi;
Anyone else had weird, inexplicable things happen with your Zope? Here's
couple of horror stories of mine. I'd love to hear yours.

What inspired this post was something that happened tonight. I was
playing
around with a very simple script when I kept running into errors: Can't
convert an integer into a string; Can't convert a string into an
integer;
etc. I *knew* there wasn't a problem with my script. After a futile hour
of
trying to track down the *problem*, I decided to copy a perfectly good
and
currently functioning script, giving it a different name and passing the
variables like I do to its parent. Sure enough, I ran into the same
errors!
Why?!

My worst nightmare happened a couple of weeks ago. I decided to rebuild
my
file structure into something more portable. I had placed a number of
scripts and old DTML methods in the root. I decided to copy them all
into a
folder, add the folder to each of my sites, and put the new folder into
each site's path. Simple, right? What could possibly go wrong? Well, I
forget the exact errors Zope threw at me, but it was all utter nonsense.
finally decided I'd just restart the sucker. I mean, why not? Bad, bad
idea. I couldn't restart it. Worse yet, I ended up having to reinstall
Zope. When I went to open my old Data.fs file, the goblins had secretly
returned it to the exact state it was in at my last backup...two weeks
before! How???? How could it have possibly known?!

Also, if you happen to know a good exorsict, please let me know <g>
beno

********************************DISCLAIMER****************************
The information contained in the above e-mail message or messages
(which includes any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the use of the person or entity
to which it is addressed.  If you are not the addressee any form of
disclosure, copying, modification, distribution or any action taken
or omitted in reliance on the information is unauthorised.  Opinions
contained in the message(s) do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of the Queensland Government and its authorities.  If you received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete it from your computer system network.