[Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Paul T (spk) paul@pault.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:26:43 -0800

Have many stories about The Goblins.

For example, Permissions, not working
in *particular* folder.

I run  http://www.xmlsuck.com/
on Squishdot for 1+ year.

One day, all of a sudden,  'Search' stopped
working.

Manage->ControlPanel->pack

has fixed it.

In fact, it was not *that*  simple, because after
'fixing' it that way, Zope has crushed several
times next 48 hours, but I was stubborn and
now, couple weeks later, everything works
fine.

I belive that :

-  everything in Zope depends on ZODB
-  ZODB is not rock solid

So - any day you may start experiencing
some funny effects. Not frequently.
I would say - once two months, maybe.

"ZODB is not rock solid" needs more comment.
ZODB has pretty nice self-recovering abilities.

In fact, I was *very* happy (and was not expecting)
that  the 'pack' thing would be able to 'fix' ZODB -
from the shape it was.

Basically, ZCatalog and everything depending on
it was not working (not only xmlsuck part), so I
was expecting the damage to be major.
I'm making backups,  but still ...

Something like  "Norton Disk Doctor"
for Zope may make sense eventually, when/if
Zope would gain more marketshare.

Perhaps there is some utility out there
which is devoted to capturing / fixing
inconsistensies  in ZODB 'at all costs' ?
Some improved version of
Manage->ControlPanel->pack ?

I tried looking, but found nothing
comparable to  "Norton Disk Doctor".