[Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:04:03 +0100

beno wrote at 2003-1-12 21:22 -0400:
 > Anyone else had weird, inexplicable things happen with your Zope? Here's a
 > couple of horror stories of mine. I'd love to hear yours.
Apparently, the goblins mostly attack selected people...

I have seen only few weird Zope behaviour examples:

  1.  someone reported that a folder went suddenly missing

  2.  the ZCatalog lost suddenly most of its content

  3.  crashing Zope

  4.  a few others, of not so many drastic effects

Fortunately, the ZODB is *extremely* resilient to loss (unless you
pack it).

  1. Analysing the ZODB's Data.fs, I could prove that
     the parent folder of the missing one was deleted and later
     recreated with "manage_import" and I could recover the lost folder.
     the state when the fold

  2. The "Symlink" product had unindexed the objects.
     We knew, "Symlink" was dangerous, just not that it
     is so dangerous.

     However, the ZODB let us easily recover.

Sometimes, Zope is blamed for bugs in other packages:

  3. turned out to be a memory corruption in the Oracle 8.1.6
     client library...

  4. it did not investigate, yet...

Dieter