[Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Paul T (spk) paul@pault.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:25:09 -0800

>  > "ZODB is not rock solid" needs more comment.
>  > ZODB has pretty nice self-recovering abilities.

> Almost nothing can go wrong with ZODB and FileStorage:

Unfortunately, something can.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Data.fs+problem

In particular :

http://www.zopezen.org/Members/macguyver007/1005847669
( published at Sep. 27. 02 )

To me it sounds like one more argument for
"daily packing is good for you".

>   Any changes are added at the end of the file (okay,
>   Toby reported that ZODB provides features that allow
>   modification in the middle, but Zope does not use them).
>
>   You have the complete history, in case you must recover
>   (or analyse).
>
>   Desaster recovery means, you cut away some trailing part of the
>   "Data.fs"

I'm not sure this is relevant to what happens
with packing.

>  > Some improved version of
>  > Manage->ControlPanel->pack ?
> There are "ZODB.fsrecover" (for recovery) and "ZODB.fsdump" and
> the third party product "tranalyzer" for analysis

Thank you for the pointers.

>  > I tried looking, but found nothing
>  > comparable to  "Norton Disk Doctor".

> I work under Unix. Therefore, I do not know (and usually
> do not need) "Norton Disk Doctor"

You have it invoked for you at startup - transparently
( it is called  fsck ).

In fact, Windows does the same thing these days,
so I think that many newbie Windows users
would also not understand my reference to NDD.

I should have said not 'Norton Disk Doctor', but
"some utility that fixes the broken filesystems and
does it *really* well".

Perhaps a combo of all three things that you've
mentioned + 'pack' would be 'it'.

Rgds.Paul.