[Zope] ReplyTo 'Zope' rather than the sender?

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:54:47 -0800

At 05:01 AM 1/14/2003, Ed Leafe wrote:
>On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 07:02  AM, Crosbie Fitch wrote:
>
>>Maybe the following indicates the reply-to policy of this list?
>>http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
>         I don't buy those arguments at all. Most people simply click
> "Reply", or, more commonly, press the shortcut keystroke, for all their
> email replies. Messages on a list are no different. I've been on both
> kinds of lists, and those that don't add the Reply-To always suffer from
> questions being posted with no corresponding answers. The whole purpose
> of most support lists is to spread the knowledge; I may not have that
> problem today, but by reading about it and its solution, I'll be better
> prepared if I come across it tomorrow.

Yeah, the arguments against enabling "reply to list" are highly bogus.  One
could just as easily argue that mail clients shouldn't have a "reply to
all" function... how many times does *that* get abused?

I've been using lists for more than 10 years now and reply-to-list *is* the
default behavior I expect.  Aside from this list and c.l.python, every one
of the lists I subscribe to does it this way.

I can't say how many times I've provided thoughtful answers to questions
only to realize that they didn't post to the list.  I can't be the only one
who's done that numerous times.  This list would be a more complete, more
informative, easier-to-use resource to use if it adopted the default
behavior and put the list address in the reply-to field.

My $.02

Dylan