[Zope] Is Zope the Tool for This Job?

Martin Gebert Murphy@members.netsolution-net.de
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 02:06:11 +0100

nitin@borwankar.com schrieb:

> So Sybase or Oracle may be a better choice for you - if that is
> prohibitive from a cost viewpoint try Postgres or MySQL with one of
> the transactional storages(innoDB ...) although I have not used either
> and have no real world data on transactional storages in MySQL.

I have, in a small scale (my master thesis), and what I experienced so
far looks good; I'd recommend InnoDB if it has to be MySQL, it handles
transactions, foreign keys and locks very well. But if the amount of
data is going to be *really* huge, you (beno) should also have a look at
Oracle or other commercial DBMS which are supported reliably by Zope.
Probably they aren't faster (MySQL surely is optimized for speed, at
least on small/medium sized DBs) but IMHO it can handle large DBs better
and has possibilities for clustering.
For futher planning, urgently try to get figures (working hours, cost,
amount of data, data flow-through and so on), and if they are only rough
estimations in the first phase of analyzing! This will help you to get
the right point of view on the requirements ot your app...

Martin