[Zope] FTP hangups

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:58:35 -0800

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some light on why Zserver hangs up on
ftp so often.

I frequently run into a problem where FTPing into my Zope site just hangs
after apparently connecting. Here's a transcript of a session using ncftp
(with names changed to protect the innocent):

"""
myclient:~/project/icon32> ncftp
NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
ncftp> bookmarks
ncftp> open -umyusername -pmypasswd -P8021 myserver
Connecting to 134.4.20.73...

myserver FTP server (Medusa Async V1.18 [experimental]) ready.
Logging in...

Login successful.
Logging in...
"""

Unfortunately, that's as far as it goes.  After a few minutes, I see a
message like this:

"""
Could not read reply from control connection -- timed out.
"""

Zope 2.5.1, Python 2.1.3, on Solaris 8 (also on Debian 3.0 and
FreeBSD (I think v4)).  The client is Debian 3.0.

Are there any known issues which account for this kind of problem?

Thanks for any ideas,
Terry

"Some things are too important to be taken seriously"