[Zope] XUL 'n' ZOPE

Jim Washington jwashin@vt.edu
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:37:22 -0500

Fernando Martins wrote:

>Out of curiosity, AFAIK, XUL is a widget library which totally depends on
>Mozilla. Using it, seems to defeat the purpose of HTML, to have pages
>working in any browser. I'm I missing something?

Perhaps.  For example, one might want to put together a specialized
remote application.  If I use Mozilla+XUL for this,  instead of telling
my clients "download and install Jim's specialized web client", I might
say "download and install Mozilla, then go to this URL."

More info:  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mozilla/2002/12/17/app_dev.html

The Zope+Mozilla combination has many interesting possibilities.  To
Zope, XUL is not importantly different from html.  So, the special
things one might do in PageTemplates for html can be done similarly on
the better widget set that XUL has.  Yes, single browser, but available
for free on *all* platforms...

-- Jim Washington