[Zope] Zope reference documentation?

Thieu-Hon Tran Thieu-Hon.Tran@westfleisch.de
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:59:10 +0100

Am 16.01.2003, 21:43 Uhr schrieb Dieter Maurer:
-----------------------------------
 >Patrick Price wrote at 2003-1-15 15:27 -0500:
[...]
 > > For instance, let's say I want to learn about something really basic,
 > > like what REQUEST.get does.

 >There are things that are so natural that there is no need to
 >document them!

That's a typical viewpoint of a "guru".

 >  "get" is a generic mapping method. It has "key" as parameter
 >  and an optional default parameter (with default value "None").
 >  It returns the value mapped to "key" or the default (if "key"
 >  is not mapped).
 >  You find this information in the Python library reference.
 >
 >  "REQUEST" is a mapping.

Would it be asking too much or be inappropriate to put something
similar to your short explanation into the first paragraph of the
ref-doc of the class REQUEST? Maybe just something like:

      REQUEST is a python mapping/dictionary. It supports all
      methods, that mappings/dictionaries do.

(I'm only a python/zope newbie, so my version is "newbie-speak", so
don't hit me, if there's something wrong about that ;-)

When you're trying to find out, what sort of things you can do with
REQUEST, then you'll check the API Reference. And if you don't know
that REQUEST is mapping, it could take you a lot of time to 'find'
even basic methods like "get".

      Hon.