[Zope] RE: Zope memory leak

Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:20:49 -0500

Chris,

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone :)

I have yet to find a way to fix it:

http://atlas.gc.ca/cgi-bin/zopegraph

Those are 1 hour samples.

I applied the cAccessControl patch, removed my usage of REQUEST.set as much
as possible, and even unset all my PythonScript variables as one had
suggested.
This has changed nothing.

I'm also 99% sure I don't have any circling/cyclic refrences (I'll try to go
back again and check even more thoroughly, but I doubt it, I don't write
Python that fancy just yet :)

I have one Pyton/C external module that is "non standard", and checked it
for leaks, nothing came up. But, if we're suffering from the same issue,
then this obviously wouldn't be it (You don't use the Python interface to
PROJ.4 do you ? :)

I definitely know that the leakage is proportional to usage (The leaking
slows down, or even stops, overnight), but I'm not closer to figuring out
where it comes from.

I've kept an eye on refcounts, but I have yet to see a single refcount that
grows out of control (Even the AccessControl ones, but applied the patch
anyway, just in case), which suggests the leak is NOT related to object
instances, object caching, or anything like that.

I'm getting really desperate here ... The funny thing is when the memory
grows too large, it seems one of the processes/threads dies with a SIG11,
and Zope restarts itself, clean memory!

I'm currently using Zope 2.5.1 with CMF 1.1 (2 instances) and the latest
Psycopg 1.0.13, and I also allow the importing of some extra modules into
Zope (urllib is one, my custom Python/C module is the other).

Maybe if we find what we have in common, we can try tracking down what's
going on here?

I've been thinking fo filing a bug, but I wouldn't even be sure what to say
in it!!!

PS: I copied to the list, the more eyes the better :)

Let me know what you find out, if anything!

Cheers,
J.F.