[Zope] advice

Dylan Reinhardt Dylan@DylanReinhardt.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:15:10 -0800

At 01:50 PM 1/17/2003, you wrote:
>I am looking for a web development environment that is in demand.  Despite
>being a developer and a teacher of object oriented development languages,
>I, and my company, are experiencing an economic down-turn.  Are Zope
>developers and trainers in demand?  The product is interesting.

Yes and no.

 From where I'm sitting, there is almost no "demand" for Zope developers
per se.  Too few potential customers know about it and those who do are
likely to do the work in-house.

There is, however, tremendous demand for people who can quickly assemble
powerful, flexible, and secure web apps.  People who know Zope well are
able to do just that.  Go ahead and bid on jobs advertised as J2EE
gigs.  It might not work most of the time, but the numbers you'll come in
with are sure to grab some attention... you almost can't help but be cheaper.

Whether you will ever see 1/10th as many want ads for Zope coders as you do
for PHP & Perl slingers remains to be seen.  But it's a very good tool to
have in your kit if you're proactive about creating work for yourself.

My $.02

Dylan