[Zope] Re Re: Regular expressions insecurity?

Tue Wennerberg tue@wennerberg.dk
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:11:04 +0100

Dennis Allison wrote:
> According to an earlier post, re is not available n Python Scripts
> because they can be the source of a DOS attack.

Yes, I hear that, but I'm not convinced. What exactly can regular
expressions do, that Python scripts can't?

> In my systems, I've
> decided that such attacks are an acceptable risk.  I have enable re for
> Python Scripts in my system(s).  Apparently this is a common practice.
> Follow the instructions in the PythonScript sources.  Of course, you
> need source code access.

Many people will be be willing to accept that risk. But noone really
knows if they're taking a risk of being further compromised, since the
implications are not described anywhere (or maybe they are, and I simply
haven't found it).

--
Mvh. Tue Wennerberg
Civilingeniør og Freelance Udvikler