[Zope] Re: Large File Support (LFS) in Zope

Josef Meile jmeile@hotmail.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:08:03 +0100

--- In zope@yahoogroups.com, sean.upton@u... wrote:
 > One option, if you are using Linux and able to use ReiserFS is to
consider
 > switching to DirectoryStorage instead of using FileStorage.  This
should be
 > fairly scalable, but is likely a Linux-only solution for now.
I've already read about it and I think I won't use it because they say:
"WARNING: do not use reiser4 for production system, do not keep any
important data on reiser4. It is experimental yet."

Perhaps I will try XFS from SGI, which seems more stable.

 > http://dirstorage.sf.net  Unless you have very, very big objects, the
 > file-size issue becomes a non-issue with this approach, and you don't
have
 > to worry about large-file support at all the various layers.
This will be my second alternative.

 > Another option is just to compile python from source with LFS yourself
 > (search Google for this), and use that python binary to run Zope from
 > source.
As I said in my first message, I have already done it. I followed the
gidelines
given at:
http://www.zope.org/Members/beacon/install_instructions
but it didn't work

 > Yet a third option is to use Zope 2.6's binary install, which I
believe has
 > LFS support built-into its python.
Soon or later I will have to update, but first I want to make sure that my
system works under 2.5.1

 > For LFS to work, you need a relatively new C library and Linux 2.4 kernel
 > (though 2.2 kernels work fine on 64 bit platforms).
I have linux kernel v.2.4.18-3 and glibc v.2.2.5-34, so I guess it has
LFS since
it is supported from versions > 2.2

Thanks for your reply,
Josef