[Zope] Apache rewrite question

AM list_subscriber@neurobs.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:40:40 -0800

In this rewrite rule:

RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://mov.aim23.com:9090/VirtualHostBase/http/www.
 nixonmcinnes.co.uk:80/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
this is what it means:

^/(.*) : this means match all urls with the servername
www.nixonmcinnes.co.uk
        ie any url of the form www.nixonmcinnes.co.uk\....

http://mov.aim23.com:9090 : this is the url ( with port ) which gives
you direct                              access to the zope part of the
site. ( default is                            port 8080 but you are
running at 9090 )

VirtualHostBase :  this means apache should talk to the VHM in the zope
instance.
                  ( one is all you need )

http : the accessor which tells VHM what protocol apache is speaking (
this is only       my take from the code - i dont know what else VHM can
speak ) it is part of       the url and should be considered as is.

www.nixonmcinnes.co.uk:80 : this is what the VHM should rewrite as the
base url
                           so that port 8080 or in your case 9090 is not
directly                            exposed

VirtualHostRoot : this is the folder in Zope you want to publish. so for
example if                  you are publishing a folder called my_site (
for eg
                 http://your_domain:9090/my_site ) then this should be
my_site. It
                 can be a subfolder too ie if your main site is in the
folder                  /my_site/main_site ( in the zope instance this
should be                  my_site/main_site where your
folder organization in your zope instance is such:
Root Folder
   /my_site
       /main_site

The easiest way to first check if your VHM works is to put this in the url:

http://mov.aim23.com:9090/VirtualHostBase/http/www.nixonmcinnes.co.uk:80/my_site_folder_in_zope/

if you see your site's main page, your VHM works perfectly and the
virtual host + rewrite in apache should work.

hth
AM

Tom Nixon wrote:

>> I know this is a stupid suggestion but is the folder you are hosting
>> at the root level (Zope root)  and called: VirtualHostRoot ??
>>

> I don't think so. I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
>
> T.
>

> .

Aseem Mohanty                               Neurobehavioral Systems Inc,
828 San Pablo Ave, Albany, CA 94706 (R) 510 7696011 (M) 510 3014871 (O)
510 5279231

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and
 stopped right there!!"                        -- Steve Gonedes