[Zope] CatalogPathAwareness/CatalogAware Zclasses

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
24 Jan 2003 11:29:37 -0500

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 11:20, Chris Muldrow wrote:
> What types of actions tend to make indexing/searching faster?

Reducing the number of indexes (particularly text indexes), reducing the
amount of work done by the indexed methods/attributes, reducing the
number of metadata fields (and the work done by the methods/attributes
that are associated with each).

> I'm wondering
> if we have too many indexes (8 fieldindexes, 1 dateindex, 1 keyword index
> and 1 zctextindex) or too much metadata (12 fields).

I might try the CallProfiler product against each of the methods that
are called by the indexes.  If one of them (or any of them) take a long
time, try to prevent that from happening.

http://www.zope.org/Members/richard/CallProfiler

> Of course, I'm still trying to hunt down a leak, but we're using 2.6 so
> Leakfinder won't run on it. Is there a good substitute for it?

Unfortunately, no.  Memory leaks are tricky and even with LeakFinder can
take inordinate amounts of time to debug.

You may want to use my AutoLance product to prevent you from going
insane while you try to hunt the leak down.  It only works on Linux, but
it is capable of restarting Zope if memory usage hits a certain
threshhold, which prevents the box from ever getting into a state of
churning through virtual memory use when memory exceeds physical RAM.

http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/Products/AutoLance

--
Chris McDonough <chrism@zope.com>
Zope Corporation