[Zope] Hardware for Zope + ZEO

Wankyu Choi wankyu@neoqst.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:09:07 +0900

But as I mentioned, storing data in MySQL (or other RDBMSs) would mean I'd
have to modify the content types, user folder and stuff.

Did you mean the following, for example?

1. A user registers as a member of a CMF site: his member data and
credentials all go into MySQL; user folder and member data tool are just
wrappers to pool data from MySQL. I wrote a userfolder doing exactly this
months ago but realized that the member data schema couldn't be as flexible
as a normal member data tool would be as a dynamic dictionary :-(

2. That user starts adding content: internally, binary data such as Images
and Files are saved as external files; textual data such as Documents and
Artilces go into MySQL, which means Document and Article content types are
simple wrappers to pool data from MySQL.

Do you suggest these are the only reasonable options I'd have? In fact, I
dreaded this since it's a lot more hassle than I wanted to go thru.

Plus, I'd still need a dedicated machine for MySQL even if I chose to use
ZEO. Running MySQL and ZEO on the same machine seems too much burden on the
machine in question (my current MySQL DB machine is a 4-way 2G ram machine
and it's already feeling the hit.). Separating them would mean two costly
fault-tolerant machines. Too much cost...

Well, if you say yes, I'd need to go about taking apart all the content
types and tools I've created not to rely 100% on ZODB.

Thanks again and I appologize for these constant stupid questions^^ But
they're really important to me since I have to shell out the dough soon for
new machines anyway, and need a concrete picture of what I'd do with Zope,
ZEO and stuff.

Best Regards,
Wankyu Choi
      To the dedicated staff at NeoQuest, language is not a problem
          to be dealt with, but an art waiting to be performed.
  Wankyou Choi
  CEO/President
  NeoQuest Communications, Inc.
  3rd Floor, HMC Bldg., 730-14, Yoksam-dong, Kangnam-gu
  Seoul, Korea
  Tel: 82-2 - 501 - 7124 Fax: 82-2-501-7058
  Corporate Home: http://www.neoqst.com
  Personal  Home: http://www.zoper.net, http://www.neoboard.net
  e-mail:   wankyu@neoqst.com